Panel Memory does not seem to work

Author
Topic

I have not used for some considerable time but setting up three voices into the first 3 three positions by holding down SAVE and then the appropriate button it saves, but does not stay, the moment I switch off and switch on again the last save shows up ! I have tried the panel mode in normal and advanced but it is atill the same, it’s as though a stronger memory superimposes itself on mine. I would have though there should be a general save all settings once you have set up the actual panel. I am using an SD memory card with styles on which I use a lot, could it be that this is imposing it’s memory over mine, and if so can I check this in any way. All a bit confusing but I have followe the manual very closely but fail every time ! I have tried saving into a blank bank with nothing in i=t and still it does not stay, I feel I am missing something quite simple.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author
Replies

Hopefully, this is just a matter of using it differently rather than a hardware problem.

I’ve added a pic that shows the data retention capabilities from the manual. The instrument has to be left on for a little while to charge in order to have these capabilities.

However, it could be how your Panel Memory filters are set up.

Every time you load a Style it will generally overwrite your first three banks of Panel Memories unless the Style was saved with that facility turned off (which would be unusual). So yes, loading a Style will usually superimpose itself.

You can exclude the Style from doing that by going to Page 2 of the load screen to prevent it from loading the Panel Memories. You have to do that every time you load a Style (“Technics Song”).

What you could do is to set up the Panel Memories how you like them and then Save, go to the second Save screen and ONLY save the Panel Memories. Now you will be able to open any Song, then load your saved Panel Memories separately. You could also save that in Favorites so that you could recall the Panel Memories at the press of a button.

You will find at first that your Panel Memories appear to chop and change. This is because sometimes you have saved the Song yourself with your Panel Memories set in place but other times you are loading Songs that others have prepared, so you will be loading their Panel Memories. I found this to be very confusing in the beginning. You have to persevere to learn how to control what the KN7000 saves and loads.

It’s worth getting to know the Expand mode filters very well too.

Also, set up your Custom button to have a favourite setting in it, then you can hit that whenever all else fails.

These are important and complicated topics and I intend to write a series of articles in the near future on “Starting from Scratch” with KN7000. Talking about all the things I had no idea about when I started using mine. Even though I read the manual from cover to cover in the early days I still didn’t understand why the instrument wasn’t ‘in my control’ all the time.

Add anything you need to know here and I’ll try to help.

If architecture is frozen music then music must be liquid architecture. Quincy Jones

Attachments:

It is very important to note that SD Cards were hugely expensive when KN7000 was manufactured.

Technics expected you to have one SD Card that you used for almost everything.

KN7000 is configured to use the SD Card like a hard drive. The Favorites feature uses the placement of Styles and files on the SD Card like a hard drive, as though it were permanent. That is, each SD Card is like changing a hard drive. It has its own Favorites section.

My suggestion is to use a single SD Card as your main card. Load Styles from Floppies or other SD Cards into memory, set everything up as you wish, including Panel Memories (which you can load separately), and then Save onto your “Main SD Card”, treating it similarly to the way you would treat a hard drive on a computer.

This way will give you great control and you will know that everything is set as you like it when you load from your “Main SD Card”.

It does take a bit of time to get used to this.

The SD Techmanager 7000 programme will also help you to think this way about your Main SD Card if you use it. Because you can save Favorites etc using that programme it will give you insight into how the KN7000 ‘thinks’. It is a really fantastic programme (available in the Downloads section under ‘Utilities’.

If architecture is frozen music then music must be liquid architecture. Quincy Jones

Thanks Mike , It seems I had the right idea about the SD card being at the back of the trouble. But I have one loaded with all the styles that were on the range of Technics keyboards which you helped me compile some yeas ago and it is very rare that I use one from the instrument’s own list, I can’t recall if these styles I have already have suitable voices saved with them I never bothered to check because usually I use the Technics as the backing rhythm unit and not for it’s voices ( sacrilidge )and I use my organ for voices , but I never gave it a thought that it was loading it’s own selection of voices as well. ! But occasionally there is a tune that cries out to use the Technics in full and this is when the touble occurs if I want to use a style from my card with the Technics own voices but selected by me and than try to save, in trying to do that there is no wonder it rebels and reverts back to the original saved ones. If I did want to use an instrument’s voice in the past I never tried to save them, just loaded and played knowing the funny things that happened. keeping well away from the panel memory, but recently thought it may be useful so i gave it a try ! . The content on my SD card I have is exactly the same as the Origins one which I have just purchased from you simply to check if the content was any different, the Origins is grouped in the various keyboard models but I indexed mine into different style groups for my own convennience, I can see I am making complications because of the way I have set this up, but it is no calamity, now I know the reason I can will work around it, I don’t think at my age of almost 88 I have that much time left to acheive perfection in anything and I forget a lot of the technical detail these days ! regards Ken

Hey Ken,

Plenty of time yet to have fun that’s the main thing.

The Origins card is set up with the top folders ready to store your own Styles and for it to act as your main sd card, so you are doing the right thing.

Ok, so my tips are:

1 – Save your best sound setup in the Custom button
    2 – Use Panel Memory Expand Mode but turn everything OFF. And then turn things on one-by-one until the KN7000 starts to behave how you like it. For example, I don’t want the tempo changing all over the place so I have that turned off all the time.
    3 – Panel Memories have Banks. Banks A, B and C usually change whenever you load a Song or Style. The rest of the Banks usually don’t. It is rare that someone has saved their Style using these extra Banks because there is an extra step to saving them. So if you store the sound setups you enjoy in those Banks beyond A, B and C they won’t get overwritten when you are loading various Styles.

Best wishes,
    Mike

PS did you lose your Avatar? I’m sorry if I might have caused that because I’ve reinstalled everything over the last few days.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.